Ok, so every once in a while I decide to make something tasty, without an excessive amount of sugar in it, just to give my pancreas and love handles a bit of a breather. That’s where my Peanut Butter Oat Squares come in!!! Such a simple and straight forward recipe, needing only a few ingredients, and minimal prep time! A perfect solution if you have to make a last minute dessert or tea time snack for your lunch guests!
1 cup Peanut Butter (I like to use the ‘light’ version – less calories)
3 cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats (you can use non gluten free version of course)
0.5 cup Honey
Cooking Chocolate – (milk chocolate if you want to be naught, dark if you want to be more health conscious)
- Get a medium sized baking tray or pan – line it with baking paper.
- Melt the honey and peanut butter together – make sure to combine the mixture well. You can do so by putting both ingredients in a bowl and placing them in a microwave for about 1 minute, just to make sure they have melted well and are fully combined.
- Combine the honey/peanut butter mix with the gluten free (or not) rolled oats. Start adding the oats slowly whilst mixing, to ensure the best combination and binding of the three ingredients. Mix well until all 3 cups of the oats are finished.
- Pour the whole mixture onto the lined baking tray.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Melt some cooking chocolate in a bowl. I use my microwave, but you can also do it over a stove, using a water bath etc.
- Pour the now melted chocolate over the cooled oat and peanut butter/honey mixture – spread evenly.
- Refrigerate for another hour or so.
- Cut into uniform squares.
- Serve a couple to your guests – keep the rest for yourself (hihihihihi)
(You can always go for an even healthier option, removing the chocolate topping, if you’re feeling extra guilty about your weekend sinfulness!)
And you’re done!!! Enjoy your Peanut Butter Oat Squares! Save one for me please!